Disney Slashes Pooh’s Packaging
As a result, Disney has awarded its Consumer Products’ 2010 Quality Product Award for Sustainability to Clean Agency for its support in the package redesign.
In support of the package redesign, Clean conducted a life cycle analysis of the original package to understand its impact on the environment and to identify key areas for improvement. Disney Toys package designers then found ways to create less waste, cut costs and reduce carbon emissions.
The package change takes the plush doll out of an open box and sits him in a saddle. The branding information is moved from printing on the open box to a small paper label that attaches to the doll as a tag. With the saddle design, the doll maintains the same sitting pose on the shelf.
The primary packaging material remains the same —corrugated cardboard— but less of it is used in the new design. Across the annual sales volume for this one toy, that’s nearly 8 metric tons less cardboard used. On a lifecycle basis, the material savings translates into nearly 10 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent greenhouse gas emissions avoided.
The cube utilization is also increased with the redesign, so there are also likely to be reduced impacts in transportation and an improved product to package ratio.
Nominations for the annual Disney Consumer Products 2010 Quality Product Awards were made by each of the DCP’s lines of business and were evaluated by the senior DCP leadership team.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency by Improving the Owner/Tenant Relationship
- Case Study: Fast Payback in New York City
- $8M Project to Upgrade Chillicothe (OH) Correctional Institute
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency