PG&E Purchases Carbon Offsets From ODS Destruction
Through a new contract, Environmental Credit Corp. will collaborate with Appliance Recycling Centers of America Inc. (ARCI) to collect and destroy more than 38,000 pounds of ODS from California sources including disposed refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and bulk chillers.
This destruction will be a one-time, permanent and irreversible process, with the ultimate result being the generation of carbon offsets that are bought by PG&E customers through the ClimateSmart program.
The program allows PG&E customers to buy credits to balance out greenhouse gas emissions associated with their energy use.
The ClimateSmart program is also road-testing other Climate Action Reserve carbon offset protocols through eight different projects across California. Collectively these projects will capture or eliminate more than 1.3 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, according to PG&E.
Energy Manager News
- Mohegan Sun Pocono Casino Doesn’t Consider Cogeneration a Gamble
- Clean Power Plan: Obama’s Team Confident About Pitch to Supreme Court
- BuildingIQ Introduces Managed Services
- Solar Power Breakthrough Near?
- Battery Storage Giving Businesses a Break
- Could Ratepayers Foot the Bill for New Hampshire’s Pipelines?
- CenterPoint to Acquire Continuum’s Retail Energy Services Division
- LED Projects Must Be Carefully Planned