PG&E Purchases Carbon Offsets From ODS Destruction
Through a new contract, Environmental Credit Corp. will collaborate with Appliance Recycling Centers of America Inc. (ARCI) to collect and destroy more than 38,000 pounds of ODS from California sources including disposed refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and bulk chillers.
This destruction will be a one-time, permanent and irreversible process, with the ultimate result being the generation of carbon offsets that are bought by PG&E customers through the ClimateSmart program.
The program allows PG&E customers to buy credits to balance out greenhouse gas emissions associated with their energy use.
The ClimateSmart program is also road-testing other Climate Action Reserve carbon offset protocols through eight different projects across California. Collectively these projects will capture or eliminate more than 1.3 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, according to PG&E.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls