PG&E Purchases Carbon Offsets From ODS Destruction
Through a new contract, Environmental Credit Corp. will collaborate with Appliance Recycling Centers of America Inc. (ARCI) to collect and destroy more than 38,000 pounds of ODS from California sources including disposed refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and bulk chillers.
This destruction will be a one-time, permanent and irreversible process, with the ultimate result being the generation of carbon offsets that are bought by PG&E customers through the ClimateSmart program.
The program allows PG&E customers to buy credits to balance out greenhouse gas emissions associated with their energy use.
The ClimateSmart program is also road-testing other Climate Action Reserve carbon offset protocols through eight different projects across California. Collectively these projects will capture or eliminate more than 1.3 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, according to PG&E.
Energy Manager News
- US Military Taking No Risks by Going Green, Saving Lives and Energy
- Affordable Housing Pushes Energy Efficiency
- Controlling Air Conditioners
- ZTE, Tancent Develop Modular Data Center
- First Quarter 2016: Green Energy Growing Faster than Natural Gas
- Delmarva Power Asks for Over $80M in Electric and Gas Base Rate Hikes
- Florida Supreme Court Puts Kibosh on FPL Fracking Charge
- Restaurant Supply Company Bakes Energy Efficiency into New Facility