PG&E Purchases Carbon Offsets From ODS Destruction
Through a new contract, Environmental Credit Corp. will collaborate with Appliance Recycling Centers of America Inc. (ARCI) to collect and destroy more than 38,000 pounds of ODS from California sources including disposed refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and bulk chillers.
This destruction will be a one-time, permanent and irreversible process, with the ultimate result being the generation of carbon offsets that are bought by PG&E customers through the ClimateSmart program.
The program allows PG&E customers to buy credits to balance out greenhouse gas emissions associated with their energy use.
The ClimateSmart program is also road-testing other Climate Action Reserve carbon offset protocols through eight different projects across California. Collectively these projects will capture or eliminate more than 1.3 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, according to PG&E.
Energy Manager News
- New Energy Efficiency Law Could be Boon for HVAC Industry
- Black & Veatch World Headquarters Microgrid
- Caterpillar, First Solar Join to Develop Microgrids
- Hospital Reduces Energy 12%
- Cree LEDs Light 42-Campus Toledo Public School District
- Soraa Offers LED with Wireless Control
- States Use Energy Resource Permanent Funds for Various Purposes
- One Man’s Experience with Engaging Building Operators