Sustainable Shipping Initiative Adds Industry Giants
Six major players have joined Forum for the Future‚Äôs Sustainable Shipping Initiative. The 11-member group will work through 2011 to establish a strategy for future business and operations.
Sustainable Shipping Initiative (SSI) deliverables will be a ‚ÄúCase for Action,‚ÄĚ the first integrated sustainability profile of the industry with projections to 2030, and an ‚ÄúAction Plan‚ÄĚ for the industry, and its customers, suppliers and regulators.
SSI welcomes: Cargill, operators of a 300-vessel charter fleet; South Korea‚Äôs Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering; Rio Tinto Marine, the shipping arm of the mining giant; marine insurers, RSA; Greek tanker operator Tsakos Energy Navigation; and W√§rtsil√§, providers of shipping solutions and equipment.
The new members join SSI founders ABN Amro, BP Shipping, Gearbulk, Lloyd’s Register and Maersk Line, which are working with Forum for the Future and the WWF, creating a group that brings together shipping companies and other key supply chain stakeholders.
‚ÄúGlobalization has been good for the industry, but ‚Äėrelocalization‚Äô is now a real prospect as the economic and energy factors that have driven growth in the past go into reverse,‚ÄĚ states the group‚Äôs web site.
The group aims to take a more proactive stance in shaping and influencing what it has identified as the megatrends affecting the industry, including: climate change and new weather patterns; oil shortages and carbon taxes; changing markets and cargoes; labor standards and skills shortage; piracy and marine governance; new ship designs and other technological developments.
Earlier this month, The Carbon War Room unveiled its new shipping efficiency site.
Energy Manager News
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Month‚Äôs Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier