Caterpillar Achieves Zero-Waste at Two Facilities
Caterpillar has reached the 100-percent recycling mark at two UK-based facilities and has saved the company $200,000 during the process. The Caterpillar Remanufacturing & Components Division United Kingdom Hose Assembly (UKHA) plant in Leicester, England and the Caterpillar Logistics Services (Cat Logistics) Desford, England operations have reached 100-percent recycling in their facilities.
The Cat Logistics Desford facility includes warehouse operations and administrative offices, provides a range of logistics services to customers, and distributes materials worldwide. In 2008, they set the goal of zero landfill and 100-percent waste recycling rate, and defined processes to improve recycling percentages.
Caterpillar reported that since March 2009 activities at the Desford facility including additional recycling points around the offices, increased segregation of wastes, bundling and baling measures that reduce haul-away transportation costs have saved about $184,000. By October 2010, the site reported a full year of 100-percent recycling.
The UKHA location achieved zero landfill by increasing the facility’s recycling rate by 25 to 30 percent from previous years. The facility developed a complete waste management system to maximize revenues from recyclables and to start recycling its waste rubber hydraulic hoses. The facility reports a $15,500 in cost savings since in September 2009.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland