Denny’s Buys Cree LEDs For All New Restaurants
The chain has agreed to use Creeâs LR6 six-inch downlights in all newly constructed and converted restaurants nationwide, after testing the lights at several franchises.
A Dennyâs franchisee in Colorado Springs, Colo. installed more than 400 of the lights in the dining rooms of his five restaurants, saving $15,500 in annual energy costs. One store used 6,000 kWh less per month once the Cree lights were installed, Dennyâs said.
A LEED Gold Dennyâs in Joliet, Illinois uses a combination of Cree lights and natural lighting to reduce energy consumption. The lighting design has reduced the restaurantâs utility costs by 83 percent, Dennyâs said.
âWe evaluated numerous LED light fixtures from a variety of manufacturers to ensure that we chose the best possible product and partner for this major lighting specification,â said Mitch Riese, Dennyâs senior manager of design and construction.
Restaurants are huge consumers of electricity, using about 2.5 times more energy per square foot than other commercial buildings, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Lights in restaurants typically run 16 to 20 hours per day.
Last year Chiliâs Restaurant said it would install 125,000 LED lamps for interior and exterior lighting across all 827 of its restaurants, in what the chain touted as the nation’s biggest LED rollout. Chili’s is using Eco-story lamps, which employ Cree Xlamp LEDs.
Chiliâs parent company Brinker International said the installations will save more than $3.7 million annually.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest âSmart Buildingâ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight