MBAs to Find Savings at Facebook, Dunkin’
Facebook, Dunkin’ Brands, Microsoft, JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts have all joined the EDF Climate Corps initiative for summer 2011, increasing the program’s roll to over 30 companies.
The program places MBA students as fellows at companies, where the students work to find energy efficiency opportunities.
This year’s applicants include students at Columbia, Duke, Harvard, MIT, Northwestern, Stanford and Yale.
Since its inception in 2008, EDF Climate Corps has helped 66 Fortune 1,000 companies to save $439 million in operational costs and avoid 557,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions per year—equivalent to taking 86,000 SUVs off the road, EDF said.
So far companies have initiated or completed 84 percent of the energy savings identified by 2008 and 2009 fellows, EDF said.
Past examples of efficiency savings include:
- Jen Snook (pictured), an MBA at Duke, found changes to an existing AT&T lighting project that could result in an 80 percent savings in energy use across more than 100 million square feet of space.
- Michigan MBA Nick Fassler found upgrades that could reduce lighting costs at Hospital Corporation of America by 30 percent. When the changes are rolled out to most of HCA’s hospitals, the company could save $7.8 million in electricity costs and avoid 52,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions annually.
- New York University MBA Jonathan Stone identified ways the Dow Jones printing plant could reduce annual energy costs by nearly $180,000 and avoid over 900 metric tons of GHG emissions.
Last year the number of companies involved in the program more than tripled.
Companies participating in 2011 include:
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Dow Jones (News Corporation)
Hospital Corporation of America
JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Procter & Gamble
VivaKi (Publicis Groupe)
Quality Technology Services (QTS)
The final deadline for companies to apply to join EDF Climate Corps is March 18. For more information see the EDF Climate Corps website.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland