Dairy Cuts 3.3 MW with Free Demand Response
One of the nationâ€™s largest diary cooperatives has cut more than 3.3 MW of power demand using an automated demand response (auto DR) system paid for by its electric utility.
California Dairies, Inc.(CDI) installed the system at its Visalia and Artesia facilities, and was able to exceed load reduction targets specified by utility Southern California Edison (SCE).
CDI installed the system under SCEâ€™s Auto Demand Response system, which gives incentives of up to $300 per kW saved. This covered 100 percent of the project costs,
The provider of the auto DR system, EPS Corp., said the projects were completed on time and with minimal impact to production.
The initiative focused on CDIâ€™s powdered milk and butter production lines, including evaporators, separators and dryers. It also covered supporting systems including compressed air, refrigeration and wastewater treatment.
The auto DR system allowed CDI to control key production systems, reduce electrical use when possible, and better manage energy consumption during regular production.
The SCE program allows customers to install demand response systems that are remotely activated Â via the Internet, whenever the system receives event or price signals from the utility.
Customers can override these signals or revise their load reduction strategies manually.
These projects help SCE reduce the electricity load on the grid during peak periods, the utility said.
Pike Research has predicted that demand response will take a more prominent role in smart grid deployments in 2011
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest â€˜Smart Buildingâ€™ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight