USPS Makes $27m From Sustainability Efforts
USPS said that in 2010 it recycled more than 222,000 tons of material, almost 8,000 tons more than in 2009.
In 2010 the service also reduced energy, water and petroleum use, saving more than $5 million. Overall it said that savings and revenue from its sustainability programs surpassed $27 million.
“Across the country, postal employees are participating in more than 80 cross-functional Lean Green Teams that are producing significant results in energy reduction and resource conservation,” said Emil Dzuray, acting chief sustainability officer.
The teams mesh low-cost and no-cost environmental practices with performance management systems, USPS said, with an aim of reducing energy, water and petroleum use as well as landfill waste.
USPS will deploy the teams nationwide by 2012.
The agency aims to reduce spending on consumables 30 percent by 2020. In 2009, its consumables spending decreased 16 percent from the previous year.
The service first developed a “buy green” policy over 12 years ago, and is the only shipping company in the world whose mailing and postage products have earned Cradle to Cradle certification, USPS said.
Last May USPS signed a $28.7 million contract to install energy-management systems in up to 2,250 post offices as part of its plan to cut energy costs 30 percent by 2015 from 2003 levels.
The agency reports it is more than two thirds of the way to reaching its goal to reduce energy use by 30 percent by 2015.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Using the IoT to Drive Power Plant Efficiency
- Three NJ Communities Say No to School HVAC System Upgrades
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending September 24
- Researchers Make Gains on Combined Energy Systems, Heat Exchangers
- School Projects in MA, CO
- Pattern Energy Completes 200 MW Logan’s Gap Wind Facility in Texas
- Marine Corps Upgrading 37 Buildings at Camp Lejeune, N.C.
- Photovoltaic Projects in TN, CT