Staples Launches Rainforest Alliance Paper
The line of paper, Domtar EarthChoice Office Paper by Staples, will be manufactured by Domtar Corporation. It will be sold to Staples Advantage and Staples.com customers in the U.S.
The brand, like all EarthChoice papers, is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), and will also meet Rainforest Alliance standards on worker and community welfare.
The new line is a 20 lb., 92 brightness paper that can be used for inkjet and laser printing. It uses HP ColorLok technology, which the ink maker says delivers bolder colors and a faster drying time.
“We work hard to keep the forests as forests,” said Lewis Fix, Domtar’s vice-president of brand management and sustainable product development. “Third-party certification is the best way to ensure that sound forest management practices are implemented and that all environmental and social aspects of forest use are considered.”
In October 2009, Staples enrolled in the Rainforest Alliance’s SmartSource program, agreeing to analyze and improve the environmental and social footprint of its paper supply.
Domtar has previously earned the Staples Supplier Soul Award, which the office supply company bestows on suppliers that help to advance its goals on community, diversity, ethics and the environment. Domtar has sold more than a million tons of EarthChoice papers since their launch.
“We’re happy to see another product added to the EarthChoice line, making FSC certified paper more readily available to consumers,” Rainforest Alliance president Tensie Whelan said.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform