Intel Plans $25bn Efficiency Savings
Allyson Klein, Intel’s data center group leadership marketing director, told the Express Tribune in Karachi that efficiency gains will allow the company to eliminate or prevent huge amounts of power consumption.
Klein said the use of cloud computing will help to lower companies’ IT costs significantly and improve efficiency. Cloud computing allows a company to only use as much server space as it needs, and easily ramp that use up or down as the company’s needs change.
“A lot of power will not be needed because of more efficient computers, both from [the] client and server side, along with more efficient usage of those systems,” Klein said. “That’s not all. We could accelerate $100 billion worth of industry services around the world.”
Klein said that the IT sector spends a huge portion of its budget on management and overheads of its existing IT infrastructure.
She also said that the use of cloud computing allows companies to export their IT function wholesale to emerging markets, reducing overhead. But she said that data center location should still be based on three major factors: cost of land, cost of electricity and capacity for cooling.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management