Verizon Data Center Efficiency Rises Across 1 Million Sq Ft
PolarPlex uses several methods to separate hot and cold air and maximize cooling potential. These containment strategies include redirecting hot air from cold aisles and the use of panels to fill empty cabinets and shelf positions.
Verizon selected Polargy to manage the turnkey energy containment project across 12 domestic sites, which saw their annual energy usage reduced by 18.8 million kWh.
The project, launched in 2010, increased the sitesâ aggregate data center infrastructure efficiency (DCIE) from 0.45 to 0.5, Verizon said. DCIE measures efficiency by dividing IT equipment power by total facility power.
Verizon said that Polargy provided it with detailed containment designs, local fire-marshal approvals, managed installations, and guidance through the commissioning process.Â The installation at each site took between two and five weeks.
âSaving energy and reducing our environmental impact are always front of mind at Verizon, and Polargy hit the mark in both areas,â the director of Verizonâs national technical operations, Mark Capurso, said.Â âThe PolarPlex cold aisle containment solution lowered our air flow requirements and our air conditioning usage, moving us one step further in making our network more efficient and sustainable.â
Last week Verizon announced that it was changing its enterprise-wide CO2 intensity metric, from metric tons per million dollars of revenue, to metric tons per terabyte of data moved.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest âSmart Buildingâ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight