Nike, AEP Win in Ceres Environmental Reporting Awards
In the awards at the Ceres conference in Oakland, Calif., Nike won for best sustainability report, with American Electric Power the runner-up. Anvil Knitwear won for best first-time report. SAP won a commendation for innovative use of web and social media.
The awards began in 2001, and this year there were 98 entries from companies and organizations in more than 20 sectors. From these, 17 reports were short-listed and four winners chosen.
“Nike’s report addresses the new context within which business must operate—one with a rising global population, decreasing natural resources, and an unstable climate—and reveals how Nike, in an effort to take a competitive advantage, is shifting to a more sustainable business model,” Ceres said.
The award organizers said that Nike’s report also “demonstrates the company’s commitment to scaling sustainability solutions through the open sourcing of its audit and design tools and its integral role in the creation of the Green Xchange platform.”
The judging criteria (pdf) address completeness, credibility and quality of communication. The judging panel currently includes nine North American experts representing a broad spectrum of backgrounds in the nonprofit, corporate and investment worlds, Ceres said.
In the CR Reporting Awards 2011, handed out in March by Corporate Register, Hewlett-Packard won the best report award for Changing the Equation, HP Global Citizenship Report 2009. Runners-up were Coca-Cola and Bayer AG, for their 2009 reports.
The CR awards are decided by the votes of Corporate Register users.
Energy Manager News
- Waste-to-Energy Shows Growth in New Jersey, Maine and Florida
- Zen Ecosystems Introduces Zen HQ
- Flywheel Platform Introduced by GE
- Key Trends: Corporate Renewable Energy Procurement and Spend 2016
- Cogeneration Continues to Make Inroads
- Honeywell, OG&E Upgrading Tinker Air Force Base Assembly Plant
- Schneider Electric Working with 3 NJ School Districts
- ERC Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending: October 14, 2016