GE Aviation Saves $1 Million and 15 Million kWh of Electricity
GE Aviation has reviewed the results of 16 energy reduction strategies at two Rutland, Vermont, facilities with members of the stateâ€™s Efficiency Vermont team. The team has completed 16 projects that have reduced annual electrical usage by more than 15 million kWh, and reduced CO2 emission by close to 8,000 tons. GE Aviation estimates its annual electrical cost savings is more than $1 million for both locations, writes VermontBiz.com.
Efficiency Vermont is the stateâ€™s environmental program that provides technical assistance, rebates, and other financial incentives to help Vermont households and businesses reduce their energy costs.
Since 2006, GE Rutland facility has worked with Efficiency Vermont to identify and implement energy savings programs at the 400,000-square-foot Windcrest Road and 100,000-square-foot Columbian Avenue locations. Examples of energy savings projects include changing lighting from high pressure sodium fixtures to high performance T8 high bay fixtures for an annual savings of about 2.5 million kWh in electricity and reduction of 1,000 tons of CO2 emissions, according to the article.
As well the article states that by replacing eight over-sized rotary ovens with proper sized ovens yielded GE an annual energy savings of nearly 1 million kWh in electricity, and a reduction of more than 450 tons of CO2 emissions. By changing two 100 horse-power ventilation systems with 5 HP systems, GE saved more than 1 million kWh in electricity. A very low-cost effort — promoting energy conservation among employees â€“ reduced electricity consumption by 12 percent in one year.
The energy efficiency efforts are part of GEâ€™s ecomagination initiative, which aims to reduce its absolute greenhouse gas emissions by 25 percent, water usage by 25 percent, and achieve an energy-intensity reduction by 50 percent.
Energy Manager News
- Will Co-Firing Natural Gas and Coal Meet Clean Power Plan Standards?
- China and India: Doing the Unimaginable to Address Climate Change
- Maine Solar Bill That Advocates Claim Could Save $100M Is Vetoed by Governor LePage
- Competitive Green Retailer Star Energy Partners Expands to New Jersey, Pennsylvania
- Flying High: Energy Efficiency, Renewables and Airports
- Want a Green and Energy Conscious Business? Try These Ideas
- Beazer Homes Wins Energy Star Award
- Infineon Unveils Integrated LED