Sustainability Software Expands at Operational, Process Level
The report, “Enterprise Sustainability Management Solutions: Reference Architecture and Buyers Guide”, says that IT for sustainability, energy, and environmental resource management is developing rapidly. The market is complex, with software on several different levels, and a mix of established players and new entrants are offering both broad and specialized platforms.
AltaTerra delineates the complex sustainability software market with a six-level “reference architecture” (see chart). The levels range from enterprise-wide sustainability management and reporting down to minute-by-minute optimization of energy and resource use, product and workplace regulatory compliance, and a range of related operating processes.
“Sustainability goes deeper than management-level reporting,” the report says. “At the day-to-day operations level, organizations seek to improve energy efficiency in facilities, reduce production and supply-chain impacts, enhance environmental performance in products and services, and pursue other strategic priorities.”
At the same time, AltaTerra says the sustainability agenda is rapidly changing the practice of enterprise management, requiring new operating processes and types of information.
And increasingly, AltaTerra says, companies’ sustainability management is reaching beyond their walls to include suppliers and customers. For IT departments, this can be a paradigm shift, because it requires thinking that spans traditional boundaries between enterprise systems and between facilities.
Given the range of sustainability software applications, and requirements that vary significantly by sector and by companies’ operational characteristics, AltaTerra says there is no clear leader in the market. Providers CA, Enablon, EnerNOC, Enviance, Hara, IHS, SAP, Tririga/IBM and Verisae all lead in one or more of four distinct market segments, the report says.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment