Munich Re Installing Carport Solar Power System
Munich Reinsurance America is installing a 2.5-megawatt solar power system at its Plainsboro, N.J. facility. SunPower is designing and building the system on a carport structure that will provide shade for the facility’s parking lot and reduce annual electricity costs by almost $500,000.
Construction on the system will begin this year, and it will be operational in the second half of 2012. Munich Re will sell the solar renewable energy certificates (SRECs) and environmental benefits associated with the system, enabling the regional utilities to meet their renewable portfolio standard requirements.
Munich Re says that it achieved carbon neutrality at its Munich headquarters in 2009, and targets 2012 to be carbon neutral throughout its worldwide reinsurance group operations.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend