Munich Re Installing Carport Solar Power System
Munich Reinsurance America is installing a 2.5-megawatt solar power system at its Plainsboro, N.J. facility. SunPower is designing and building the system on a carport structure that will provide shade for the facility’s parking lot and reduce annual electricity costs by almost $500,000.
Construction on the system will begin this year, and it will be operational in the second half of 2012. Munich Re will sell the solar renewable energy certificates (SRECs) and environmental benefits associated with the system, enabling the regional utilities to meet their renewable portfolio standard requirements.
Munich Re says that it achieved carbon neutrality at its Munich headquarters in 2009, and targets 2012 to be carbon neutral throughout its worldwide reinsurance group operations.
Energy Manager News
- Flying High: Energy Efficiency, Renewables and Airports
- Want a Green and Energy Conscious Business? Try These Ideas
- Beazer Homes Wins Energy Star Award
- Infineon Unveils Integrated LED
- FMPA: Power Costs Expected to Dwindle 30% to 40% Within Years
- Name-Dropping: CUB and Illinois AG Say Nicor Advanced Energy Should Change Identity
- Saving Energy – In the Restroom
- UAB Getting First Solar Array