Timberland Hires CSR Vice President
In his new role, Newton will lead a global team responsible for managing Timberland’s four areas of focus within CSR: environmental stewardship, global human rights, community engagement and transparency and reporting. He will report to CFO Carrie Teffner.
Earlier this month VF Corp., whose brands include Wrangler and Nautica, announced that it had agreed to buy Timberland for about $2 billion.
Newton joins Timberland following eight years with Dell, most recently as executive director of global sustainability. where he was responsible for balancing the company’s growth strategy to minimize impacts on natural and human resources across the value chain. During his tenure with Dell, he directed global policy development, stakeholder engagements and corporate strategies on environmental and social issues.
Prior to joining Dell, Newton led Environmental Technology programs at Apple and Motorola and was a principal scientist for DEKA Research and Development Corp. He sits on the advisory boards of Clean Production Action and Carbonfund.org.
“It’s clear that Mark holds himself to the same high standards of responsible citizenship that Timberland does — and that will be key to driving our CSR strategy forward,” said Teffner. “His record of accomplishment and passion for integrating values into how a business operates are going to be an excellent fit here.”
Newton’s responsibilities at Timberland will include:
- Overseeing Timberland’s effort to demonstrate environmental leadership and reduce the company’s environmental impact as a global brand
- Ensuring that the human rights standards set forth by the company’s Code of Conduct are adhered to and enforced by all Timberland vendors and suppliers worldwide
- Creating a global standard for community service through innovation, regional relevance and employee engagement
- Executing against Timberland’s commitment to transparency and reporting by engaging a diverse set of stakeholders.
Correction: After publication, Timberland contacted EL to clarify that the CSR VP position is not a new role, as had been stated in the company’s original press release. We have changed the headline and story accordingly.
Energy Manager News
- Passive-House High-Rise to be Airtight
- Greensmith Offers ‘Second Opinion’ on Energy Storage Systems
- Commercial Tankless Water Heater Handles the Demands of Business
- Booz Allen, Siemens, Power Analytics Score 16 Microgrid Projects
- NH City to Save $500,000 Annually with LED Streetlights
- Australian College Uses Energy Storage
- LED Boosts Light Output 50%, Uses Existing Drivers
- Energesco Wins Energy Efficiency Contracts for Multifamily Buildings in Maryland