Whole Foods, News Corp, Adobe Lead Renewable Procurement
News Corporation, Kohl’s, TD Bank and Adobe Systems are sector leaders in renewable energy purchasing, and Whole Foods is a “global wind energy champion”, according to new research from Bloomberg New Energy Finance and wind turbine manufacturer Vestas.
The study is based on data from the Corporate Renewable Energy Index (CREX), a survey of the world’s 1,000 largest listed companies by market capitalisation, with 176 respondents.
In the 2011 CREX, sector leaders using the highest proportions of renewable energy were: News Corp. (Communications), Plum Creek Timber (Basic Materials), Kohl’s Corporation and Whole Foods Market (Consumer), CLP Holding (Energy & Utilities), Toronto-Dominion Bank (Financial), Vestas Wind Systems (Industrial) and Adobe Systems (Technology). Whole Foods Market uses 100 percent wind energy, and as the leader in corporate wind energy use, has been named Global Wind Energy Champion.
Vestas calls the study the largest of its kind.
The wind power company has also released the results of the Global Consumer Wind Study 2011, a TNS Gallup poll of 31,000 consumers in 26 countries around the world. The survey found that 90 percent of consumers worldwide want more renewable energy and 65 percent prefer to purchase brands produced using wind energy.
“Consumers around the world see climate change as the greatest single challenge, and 90 percent of consumers want more renewable energy. This shows a real global desire to reduce carbon emissions,” Vestas president and CEO Ditlev Engel said. “It gives corporate decision makers something to think about and act upon.”
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- SolarCity: We Have the World’s Most Efficient Rooftop Solar Panel
- Bridgestone Arena in Nashville Switches to LEDs
- Helping Building Automation Grow
- Municipalities Could Combine Small Cell and LED Upgrades
- Holistic Approach to Energy Savings in Dublin, Ohio Schools
- NYC One Step Closer to Net-Zero Energy Goal at Wastewater Treatment Plants
- ‘Better Buildings, Better Plants’ Saves $2.4B Over Five Years