EnerNOC Dispatched At Record Levels as US Sizzles
EnerNOC said that its DemandSMART demand response network was dispatched at record levels last Friday, helping to mitigate blackout risks and reduce energy costs, as a severe heat wave swept North America.
EnerNOC’s network responded to a series of dispatches from grid operators including the mid-Atlantic’s PJM Interconnection, the New York Independent System Operator, the Ontario Power Authority, and ISO-New England. EnerNOC was also dispatched by utility partners from across the United States, ultimately providing approximately 1,230 megawatts (MW) of demand response resources, the company said.
As previously reported, PJM recorded its highest ever demand on July 22, at 158,450 MW of power. Midwestern energy supplier MISO surpassed its record on July 20, with demand peaking at 103,975 MW.
Independent System Operator New England also set a demand record last week, the Energy Information Administration reports. In ISO-New England, real-time pricing in some areas eclipsed $560 per megawatt-hour, approximately ten times the average 2011 hourly real-time price, EnerNOC said. (See EIA chart, above left.)
In total, EnerNOC contributed resources to 12 U.S. states, including all of New England, New York, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Idaho, as well as the province of Ontario. EnerNOC said it also reached new milestones by deploying more than a third of the sites within its demand response network and dispatching a record number of megawatts to help mitigate the conditions.
As of March 31, 2011, EnerNOC had more than 6,300 MW under management across more than 10,000 sites.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight