SC Johnson Employees Save 35% of Energy From Light Fixtures
An energy-saving initiative driven by SC Johnson employees has resulted in a 35 percent energy savings per fixture in more than 700 light fixtures at the company’s largest manufacturing plant in Sturtevant, Wis.
As part of SC Johnson’s “Flip the Switch” campaign, new energy-efficient light fixtures were installed at its 2.2 million-square-foot plant, contributing to an elimination of 776 tons of greenhouse gas emissions at the plant since mid-2010.
The campaign seeks to empower employees to champion energy conservation and education, advocate for responsible practices and help the company reduce its overall environmental footprint, SC Johnson says. “Flip the Switch” aims to pare energy use, with staff turning off lights, fans and other energy-consuming equipment when the devices are not in use.
The new light fixtures generate a higher level of lumens, or brightness, while using far less power, SC Johnson says. Motion sensors have been installed in limited use meeting rooms and other areas to help reduce energy consumption and maintenance costs.
“We believe it’s important to continuously embrace energy conservation and develop best practices to improve daily operations and, ultimately, our overall business,” says Kelly M. Semrau, senior vice president of global corporate affairs, communication and sustainability. “We’re particularly proud of this program as it was actually initiated by a manufacturing team member and it’s a great example of environmental sustainability in action. Sustainability is integral to everything we do – from product design and ingredients to the manufacturing facilities themselves.”
Picture credit: Dottie Mae
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls