Media Paper Use to Slump; Degradable Packaging to Take Off
By 2015 paper use in North American magazines, newspapers and books is expected to fall between 12 and 20 percent from 2010 levels, as the use of tablet devices and e-readers rises, according to a report by paper industry information source RISI.
According to The Impact of Media Tablets on Publication Paper Markets, the market for media tablets exploded in 2010. By the end of the first year of availability, over 15 million tablet computers were in use, almost 10 million of which were in North America. By 2015, almost 200 million tablet computers will in use in North America, the report predicts.
Market declines are also anticipated in Europe, especially for printed newspapers, but the percentage losses in the Western European market will be somewhat less than in North America because of a reduced rate of media tablet adoption and fragmented media markets, the report says.
Meanwhile, global demand for green packaging is projected to rise 5.7 percent per year to $212 billion in 2015, according to research by Freedonia.
World Green Packaging to 2015 says that advances will be driven by growth in manufacturing activity and trends toward environmentally friendly packaging. While recycled content packaging will remain by far the largest product type through the forecast period and beyond, it is it is also the product type that will see the slowest increases, the report says.
On the other hand, above-average demand growth is expected in reusable and degradable packaging. In particular, demand for degradable packaging will continue to see double-digit annual growth rates, according to the research.
Energy Manager News
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along
- Maine Businesses Shut Out of Power Program
- Stay Cool This Summer While Avoiding These Common Summer Pitfalls
- Coalition Seeks to Stop SCE&G’s Blank Check
- NARUC Releases DER Draft Rate Design Manual
- Behind the Meter Podcast: Pushing Sustainability, Efficiency with Green Leases
- The Tricky World of Portable Commercial Air Conditioners