Sub-$15 LED Bulb Unveiled
The omnidirectional, A19 bulb will be available in India by the end of the year and will be sold worldwide by Lighting Science Group early next year. It is the first in a series of products being jointly manufactured and distributed by the two companies, who say the full line will include street lights, outdoor and industrial light fixtures and replacement bulbs.
The companies say the bulb fits perfectly into existing screw-in light sockets and creates a clean, bright light level equivalent to a conventional 60-watt incandescent bulb, using 85 percent less electricity. It is also designed to handle the variable quality of power in India and other emerging economies.
At a retail price below $15, the bulb has a payback period of eight months and an expected life of about eight years, the companies say.
The two firms say the Indian market for LED lighting is one of the fastest-growing sectors of one of the world’s fastest-growing economies, and is expected to grow 53 percent a year to $400 million by 2015.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV
- Walmart Saving Money While Driving Efficiency
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market