GE and Exopack Conduct ‘Ecomagination Treasure Hunt’
GE Capital has announced the results of an â€śEcomagination treasure huntâ€ť aimed at trimming energy costs, reducing energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, and improving overall efficiency at Exopack Holding Corp.â€™s Griffin, Ga., manufacturing facility.
The process identified approximately $453,000 in annual energy-saving opportunities that could reduce Exopackâ€™s energy spending at that location by 30 percent annually, GE Capital says.
If the packaging firm implements all suggestions identified by the treasure hunt, it could reduce its carbon dioxide emissions by nearly 4.3 metric tons, the equivalent of eliminating more than 820 cars from the road or planting 107,179 tree seedlings and allowing them to grow for 10 years, according to GE Capital
Some 22 quantified cost-saving prospects were identified related to motors used in the Exopack plant. Combined they totaled nearly $196,000 in potential cost savings, achieved primarily through replacing older motors with newer, more energy-efficient ones.
GE Capital also identified over $142,000 in savings to be made in the plantâ€™s lighting.
Based on a model originally developed by Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America and later adapted for its own purposes, GE has conducted more than 200 Treasure Hunts internally, resulting in $150 million in savings. GE now shares these best practices externally.
Spartanburg, S.C.,-based Exopack designs and manufactures packaging for products ranging from food to medical products to building materials, among others.
Energy Manager News
- Window Films: Low Hanging Fruit for Efficiency Gains
- Some Insurance Companies Invested Too Heavily in Fossil Fuels, says Ceres
- Apple Defends 100% Renewable Energy Claim
- Ontario Investing $900M in Affordable Housing
- ERC: Price Benchmark Trends Week Ending May 20, 2016
- CAL-ISO Study: Regional Energy Market Could Yield $1.5B in Savings Annually to Ratepayers
- Sands to Stay, But MGM and Wynn Still Plan to Leave NV Energy
- Turning Data into Knowledgeâ€“and Action