EarthCheck Names Tourism ‘Star Performers’
Hotels under the Novotel, Radisson and InterContinental banners have been named as examples of best practice in an assessment of the travel and tourism industry by green certification body EarthCheck.
Novotel’s Beijing Xinqiao (pictured) and its Valencia Palacio de Congresos in Mexico, Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens in Austrailia and the InterContinental Singapore were all named as “Star Performers” in the EarthCheck analysis.
To qualify as a “Star Performer,” organizations had to achieve at or above a best practice rating in eight or more of EarthCheck’s 15 benchmark indicators in such areas as energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and water savings rating.
This is the first time that EarthCheck has released the names of the hotels it considers the most green. The other winners named were:
· Melbourne’s Visitor Information Services
· Commonwealth of Dominica
· Grand Palladium Jamaica and Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
· Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
· Rydges World Square
· Waterbom Bali
· Centara Karon Resort Phuket
· Park Plaza Beijing Wangfujing
· La Cabana Beach & Racquet Club
· The Gateway Hotel, Vijayawada
· Alto Hotel on Bourke
· Heritance Ahungalla
· Binna Burra Lodge
· Green Grotto Caves
· Oamaru Blue Penguin Colony
· Hotel El Tukan & Beach Club
In other hospitality industry news, a passenger ferry powered by hydrogen fuel cells is to launch in New York City.
The Hornblower Hybrid is America’s first hydrogen hybrid commercial vessel, according to cruise company Hornblower New York.
The boat, that will start operation in late 2011, will be used for private charters, dining cruises and visits to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
Energy Manager News
- Energy-as-a-Service: Charting a Path Through Complexity
- Demand Energy, EnerSys Complete Storage Project
- Lunera Intros Pathway and Entryway LED
- FPL to Buy and Phase Out Coal-Powered Plant, Saving Customers $129M
- Environmental, Health and Safety Software Moves Forward
- Johnson Controls: Interest, Investment in Energy Efficiency Up
- First-Ever Statewide Endorsement of Retail Supplier, by Delaware, Goes to Direct Energy
- Oberlin, Ohio, Ratepayers to Receive $2.2M in Rebates for Sale of RECs