Tata Steel Pens Green Deal with Netherlands
The so-called “green deal” commits Tata Steel’s plant in IJmuiden, Netherlands, to three projects totaling €10 million ($13.3 million) that should lead to annual energy savings of 83333 MWh – enough to power 20,000 Dutch homes for a year.
Projects will be carried out in the IJmuiden plant’s blast furnaces, steel meltshop and wide hot strip mill.
Other “green deals” have been signed by 40 Dutch companies and industry bodies. The deals stem from the government’s coalition agreement that states it will make such agreements with citizens, companies and NGOs to stimulate the development of plans that combine economic growth and sustainability, Tata says.
In other manufacturing efficiency news, GE has announced two innovations to slash energy costs in the plastics and Scotch whisky industries.
At William Grant & Sons’ Girvan, Scotland, distillery, GE is delivering a combined heat and power system that the company says increases efficiency, reduces carbon output and recycles waste.
At ethylene manufacturer PKN Orlen in Poland, GE engineers have devised an automated anti-fouling system designed to help plastics manufacturers cut energy costs, reduce downtime, increase profitability and improve product quality.
Finally, in more plastics news, GloPak Corp. is to open its new corporate headquarters on Friday, October 7. The 80,000-square-foot facility in South Plainfield, N.J., is to be partially powered by renewable energy, including a 3 acre solar field next to the plant. After the facility is operational, GloPak expects its CO2 emissions to be reduced by 690 metric tons a year.
Energy Manager News
- ERC: Electricity Price Trends for the Week Ending May 22
- Future Is Bright for Solar at Stanford
- Noresco Named Qualified Energy Performance Contractor in New Mexico
- Home Depot Sells Cree LED Flood Light for $9.97
- Professional Laundering Facility Installs Cogeneration
- PowerWise Offers Web Controls for Mini-Split Heat Pumps
- DOE Spends $32M to Boost Solar Workforce Training, Technology Innovation
- Trane Partners with Telkonet for Hotel Industry