Ecodesk Trains Maersk to Save Fuel, Launches Sustainability Strategy Tools
Svitzer Australia, a subsidiary of Maersk, is the first company to take delivery of Ecofloat 1.0, a digital training course which designer Ecodesk says will reduce fuel bills by over 15 percent.
Svitzer will deploy Ecofloat at port facilities across Australia as a commercial pilot, leading up to a more complete rollout.
Ecofloat takes users through ten lessons with exercises focused on tug operation specifics such as speed and acceleration, using tide and current and planning ahead, as well as setting out practical steps to reduce fuel costs and carbon emissions via idling time and generator load.
Ecodesk says that the software not only reduces fuel consumption and GHG emissions, but helps staff members feel a part of the company’s sustainability solution, boosting morale.
The company describes itself as the world’s largest public sustainability database on carbon, energy, water and waste, with data on over 17,000 global organisations. It says that thousands of companies, including DHL, Microsoft and Fujitsu, have realized millions in savings by reporting and analyzing their data through Ecodesk.
Although the company is five years old, its site officially launched yesterday, funded by £1.5m private equity and government grants. Companies can use functions on the site to set up and manage sustainability strategies using simple and free online tools, the company says. Businesses can create and manage sustainability profiles and perform analytics and comparisons by country and industry sector.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend