Austin, Texas, Joins US’s Top Ten Renewable Energy Buyers
The only municipality to purchase more green power that Austin is the City of Houston. Houston buys 438 million kwh of renewable power a year, powering 34 percent of the cityâ€™s activities and placing it fourth on the list.
IT giant Intel Corporation is currently the largest consumer of renewable energy in the United States. It currently consumes 2.5 billion kwh per year and has topped the list since January 2008.
Kohlâ€™s Department Stores with 1.4 billion kwh a year and Whole Foods Markets with 752 million kwh annually Â rank second and third on the list.
For a chart of the organizations buying 100 percent green power, ranked by kWh purchased, click here.
For a chart of the top ten users of on-site power generation, ranked by kWh of generation, click here.
Energy Manager News
- Smart Windows are a Smart Idea
- Behind the Meter Podcast: The Telecommunications Industry Addresses Energy Challenges
- Ambitious Goals for The Boulder Valley SD
- Philips, Cisco, Alliander Bringing Smart Lighting to Amsterdam
- TCAP to Negotiate Five-Year Electric Rates for Sherman, Texas
- Quality Power, Not Just Power, Should be the Goal
- Siemens Unveils Microgrid-as-a-Service Platform
- 18 Buildings Going Solar in D.C.