Austin, Texas, Joins US’s Top Ten Renewable Energy Buyers
The only municipality to purchase more green power that Austin is the City of Houston. Houston buys 438 million kwh of renewable power a year, powering 34 percent of the cityâ€™s activities and placing it fourth on the list.
IT giant Intel Corporation is currently the largest consumer of renewable energy in the United States. It currently consumes 2.5 billion kwh per year and has topped the list since January 2008.
Kohlâ€™s Department Stores with 1.4 billion kwh a year and Whole Foods Markets with 752 million kwh annually Â rank second and third on the list.
For a chart of the organizations buying 100 percent green power, ranked by kWh purchased, click here.
For a chart of the top ten users of on-site power generation, ranked by kWh of generation, click here.
Energy Manager News
- LEED v4 is Ready to Take Center Stage
- Honeywell Upgrading Energy, Water Systems at The University of Mount Olive
- Three Boston Area Organizations Jointly Buying Solar Energy
- Insider â€˜Outsâ€™ Misleading Strategy Behind Floridaâ€™s Solar Amendment 1
- Mississippi Watchdog: Kemper Syngas Operations Could Raise Costs by 288%
- Waste-to-Energy Shows Growth in New Jersey, Maine and Florida
- Zen Ecosystems Introduces Zen HQ
- Flywheel Platform Introduced by GE