Austin, Texas, Joins US’s Top Ten Renewable Energy Buyers
The only municipality to purchase more green power that Austin is the City of Houston. Houston buys 438 million kwh of renewable power a year, powering 34 percent of the city‚Äôs activities and placing it fourth on the list.
IT giant Intel Corporation is currently the largest consumer of renewable energy in the United States. It currently consumes 2.5 billion kwh per year and has topped the list since January 2008.
Kohl‚Äôs Department Stores with 1.4 billion kwh a year and Whole Foods Markets with 752 million kwh annually ¬†rank second and third on the list.
For a chart of the organizations buying 100 percent green power, ranked by kWh purchased, click here.
For a chart of the top ten users of on-site power generation, ranked by kWh of generation, click here.
Energy Manager News
- Six Critical Tips to Transform Your Organization‚Äôs Energy Management
- Supreme Court to Review Demand Response Decision
- Dartmouth Upgrades Field House Lighting with Digital Lumens
- Tesla Needs More Partnerships for Powerwall Success, Says Lux
- College Installs 2.5 MW of Solar
- Gexpro, Geli, Ideal Power, LG Chem Join for Battery Energy Storage
- LEDs Facilitate Retail Shopping Applications
- The Hidden Pitfalls of Natural Gas Cost Savings