Data Loggers Offer Cheap Alternative to Meters, says Onset
When hunting hidden energy costs it is often unnecessary to invest in permanent metering, as less expensive, temporary data loggers can obtain the same information, according to a best practice guide by Onset, a firm that manufactures such devices.
Finding Hidden Energy Waste with Data Loggers: A Best Practices Guide says that if analysis of the data from the data loggers justifies the value of a permanent monitoring, a company can still install permanent metering.
The guide also says that, as well as strengthening the case for installing permanent metering, information garnered from the loggers typically justifies the cost of installing new energy saving equipment.
According to the guide, loggers can be used to test the efficiency of air compressors, which Onset says are among the most common causes of industrial energy waste.
The guide’s eight key areas to find hidden energy waste are: Improper air compressor control; inadequate (compressed air) receiver volume; excessive peak energy use; not taking advantage of “free cooling”; wasting heat energy; gas-fired equipment left running; electric machinery left running when not required and not sustaining your gains.
A report released by the Environmental Defense Fund in July says that poor project aggregation and a lack of data standardization are among the barriers keeping the energy efficiency marketplace from fulfilling its potential.
Show Me the Money: Energy Efficiency Barriers and Opportunities, said that although investors stand to gain about $130 billion in annual savings from energy efficiency initiatives, such barriers stand in the way of those savings being realized.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest ‘Smart Building’ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight