Carbon Trust to Help Businesses with Green Product Selection
The Carbon Trust, a non-profit funded by the U.K. government, has launched a business aimed at helping companies reduce their energy costs and install greener, more efficient technology.
Carbon Trust Implementation aims to remove barriers to installing green technology by providing independent, objective evaluation of such products and helping companies run competitive tenders for their projects.
The service is funded by a flat rate commission from suppliers, meaning there is no cost to the company itself in obtaining this support, the Carbon Trust says.
The launch comes as a new survey by the Carbon Trust found that 76 percent of companies are more concerned than they were six months ago by rising energy costs and are very concerned about its impact on their business. Over half are expecting energy price rises of at least 11 percent over the next three years.
Despite these concerns over energy, the survey shows that while companies recognize the opportunity to improve energy efficiency, they are held back by three barriers: Insufficient time or resources; being able to quantify the expected returns and energy efficiency being a lower priority than other business considerations.
It emerged in February that the Trust was to end free energy audits for businesses after having its funding cut by 40 percent.
The trust will receive £50 million from the government in 2011-12, forcing it to end free on-site energy surveys for businesses and cut 35 of its 216 staff, the Guardian reported.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments