Tata Taps Emerson for Energy Management
The Port Talbot plant will be using Emerson’s SmartProcess Energy and SmartProcess Boiler products, DeltaV digital automation system with model predictive control, DeltaV SIS process safety system, Rosemount and Micro Motion measurement instruments, Fisher control valves, and Bettis and Hytork valve actuators.
The new controls enable Tata to increase energy efficiency and maximize use of waste fuels, reducing emissions as well as reliance on purchased fuels, Emerson says.
The Port Talbot facility is Britain’s largest integrated steel mill, making over 4.5 million tons per year of sheet steel for the automotive, construction and household appliance markets. It includes two blast furnaces and a basic oxygen furnace. To date Emerson has upgraded controls on three of the site’s seven steam boilers.
In other energy efficiency news, Colorado’s Jefferson County Public Library is installing green, retrofitted lamps, HVAC systems, low-flow toilet flush values and aerators across 10 buildings in suburbs to the west of Denver, reports Library Journal.
The $3.69 million project is part of the state’s energy performance contracting program in which public bodies hire pre-approved energy service companies to carry out energy efficiency improvements. Payback on the project is expected to take 15.8 years.
Recently, Eugene, Ore., grocery chain Market of Choice announced that it is currently installing a range of energy efficiency measures.
LED bulbs will replace fluorescent light bulbs in the eight-store chain’s reach-in freezers and coolers. Grocery sections at stores are also being retrofitted with drop-in LED bulbs, the chain announced.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend