CSCI: Understanding Network Energy Use Is Key to Efficiency
Measuring, monitoring and responding to system energy use are key to optimizing the overall energy performance of network systems, according to a white paper released by IT consortium Climate Savers Computing Initiative.
According to Power Management for Networking Devices, mapping the components of power consumption in a system – including input power, used power and total power capacity – can help with such analysis, but offers only a snapshot of a network’s energy usage patterns.
Instead, the white paper advocates taking a system-wide approach to energy optimization. Such an approach allows designers to take into account the usage patterns of individual components and integrate such efficiency measures as managing redundant power supply units and controlling fan speeds in relation to power delivery, as appropriate, the white paper says.
Developed by CSCI members from Broadcom Corporation, Cisco, Intel, Juniper Networks, Natural Resources Defense Council, Microsoft and PowerOne, the white paper is the second in a series of three papers that CSCI is releasing this year on the subject of energy efficient networks.
The first in the series, Considerations for Selecting Power Supplies for Networking Equipment and Evaluating Power Conversion Efficiency, says that company executives should adopt specific best practices for energy efficiency in networks, or unneeded energy use will continue to negatively affect their companies’ bottom lines and productivity.
The third paper will be an energy efficiency guide to networking equipment targeted at company procurement officers. It will be released later this year, CSCI says.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment