Suntech, Tesco, Schneider Take Home Gigatron Awards
Renewable energy firm Suntech, grocery chain Tesco and Schneider Electric are among those companies to receive awards for outstanding business leadership in carbon emissions reduction at Carbon War Room’s 2011 Gigatron Awards.
Tesco won the Consumer Discretionary category for its work on supply chain emission reduction and projects showcasing pilots of carbon reduction plans and training, Carbon War Room said.
In August, the U.K. supermarket giant became the first retailer to receive a Renewable Obligation Certificate for biofuel from OFGEM, the government’s energy ombudsman. The certification confirms that a biofuel developed by Tesco contains absolutely no traces of traditional fossil fuels and is 100 percent renewable.
Schneider Electric was named the winner of the Industrial category for its leadership in energy efficiency and the development of the smart grid, Carbon War Room said.
In March, it emerged that Schneider was collaborating with the federally funded Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory to allow commercial building owners to earn points towards their Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification for participating in utility or wholesale market demand response programs.
The Gigaton Prize – awarded to a company that has grown the renewable energy sector, while at the same time, growing a profitable business – was awarded to Suntech.
Other winners include:
Consumer Staples — Philips
Telecommunications — Swisscom
Utilities — Centrica
The Gigatron Awards are run by Carbon War Room in partnership with The Carbon Disclosure Project, Greeenstar, The Gigaton Throwdown Initiative, The World Climate Summit and Greenbiz.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend