Climate Savers Releases Energy Efficiency Guide for Networking Devices
The Climate Savers Computing Initiative (CSCI) has released its Energy Efficiency Guide for Networking Devices (EEG). The white paper is the third in a three-part series which aims to give network design and procurement teams a system of practices and standardized metrics for evaluating vendor products for energy efficiency.
The EEG discusses practical aspects of energy efficiency from the perspectives of operational management and vendor and product selection.
As an example of how standardized metrics can inform the procurement and network design process, the report shows how to calculate energy costs over the life of a piece of equipment, and how to calculate capital savings based on an energy efficiency improvement on that piece of equipment.
CSCI then calculated the cost of electricity needed to run a single desktop Ethernet switch in the U.S. over five years — estimated at $650. An energy efficiency improvement of 20 percent on the switch would yield a 13 percent capital savings of $135, the report said.
The group, whose membership includes Cisco, Broadcom Corporation, Intel and Juniper Networks, hopes the new guide will be a useful tool for meeting sustainability goals and regulatory requirements for emissions reduction through improved network energy efficiency.
Additionally, the paper outlines how, beginning in 2012, CSCI will expand its product catalog of energy efficient computing technologies to include networking devices. It includes the disclosure document vendors must complete in order to be listed.
Energy Manager News
- Better Buildings, Better Plants: 12 Success Stories
- CA Governor Signs Bill Clarifying PACE Disclosures
- CA School District to Get 73% of Energy From Solar Carports
- Two Critical Questions to Ask Yourself About Your Current Energy Contract
- Pepco and Exelon Say Customers Have Benefitted$440 Million Since Merger
- ICC Issues Stringent Consumer Protection Rules For Retail Electric Suppliers
- Tesla’s Battery Storage Device Put to Use. Time to Exhale?
- Variable Speed Drives are a Powerful Efficiency Tool