Green House Data Doubles Renewables Purchase
The company has purchased 1.8M kWh in 2011 – twice the amount it purchased in 2010. This annual electricity purchase is equivalent to avoiding 1,303 tons of carbon dioxide emissions, Green House Data says.
Green House Data buys its RECs through Renewable Choice, a renewable energy and carbon measurement, management and offset firm.
The company says it chooses to purchase RECs over straight-up renewable power due to the relative lack of readily available renewable power in the U.S. and what it calls the “many hurdles” obstructing the installation of private renewable power sources.
Earlier in 2011, the company was named as a member of the EPA’s Green Power Leadership Club, a title given to organizations that have significantly exceeded the EPA Green Power Partnership’s minimum green power purchase requirements. Companies were first admitted to the Green Power Leadership club in January this year.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ
- Green Building Boom Is Pumping Billions into US Economy, Retrofits Are Fueling the Trend