National Landmark Building, U.S. Treasury Building, Earns LEED Gold
The 19th-century U.S. Treasury Building â€“ a National Historic Landmark neighboring the White House â€“ was awarded LEED Gold certification. The USGBC believes that the Treasury Building isÂ the oldest building in the world to receive LEED certification, the Department of the Treasury said.
The certification adds more than eight billion square feet of green building space to the USGBC registry, and the total cost avoidance associated with these efficiency improvements are estimated to produced an annual savings to taxpayers of more than $3.5 million.
Project results, compared to a FY2008 baseline, include a 43 percent decrease in the use of potable water, a 7 percent decrease in electrical usage, a 53 percent decrease in the use of steam, and the addition of 164 workstations in the building (offsetting leased space costs), the department said.
The historic building underwent a number of green construction and operations upgrades, including: the increased use of natural day lighting, sustainable cleaning and landscape programs,Â HVAC systems upgrades, waste stream audits, and the development of a green procurement program for materials, equipment and services.
The building, at 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, is more than two city blocks long and was constructed over a period of 33 years between 1836 and 1869.
Another notable sustainable reinvention of an historic building space this yearÂ came with the LEED certification at The Empire State Building. The landmark earned LEED Gold in September, and a Green Power Leadership Award from the EPA in November.
Photo: Department of the Treasury
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments
- Incentive Program Helps Companies Afford Energy Managers
- ARPA-E Issues Grants for Solar Modules
- C-PACE Financing Innovation to Help Connecticut Green Energy Sector
- Orion Wins School District Contracts, Increases Chances for Incentives
- Study: Smartest â€˜Smart Buildingâ€™ Owners Come from Retail, Manufacturing, Construction
- Low Cost IoT Solutions, Data Driven Analytics to Propel Energy Mgmt Market
- A Clean Energy Future in Sight