Fort Hood Gets SunMaxx Solar Thermal System
The solar thermal system was installed for a domestic hot water heating system, which will preheat water for five of Fort Hood’s dining facilities.
A total of 93 TitanPowerPlus SU2 series flat plate collectors were installed across five buildings at the base, in addition to solar pumping stations and storage tanks.
The system was completely installed and commissioned during the Summer of 2011. It was installed as part of an energy conservation program to help reduce Fort Hood’s carbon foot print and as a pilot study to see the effectiveness of using solar thermal on the base. Fort Hod, which is the world’s largest army base, installed a greenhouse gas reporting and management software system in 2009 and is currently running a net zero waste pilot program.
Johnson Controls, recently announced announced a federal contract for a solar energy installation and other energy efficiency improvements at Fort Bliss, Texas.
The nearly $16 million project, executed through the U.S. Army Engineering and Support Center in Huntsville, Ala., is expected to save the post $39 million in energy costs over the next 24 years. It is the first Army contract announced as part of President Obama’s recent call for federal agencies to start using the Energy Savings Performance Contracts program to drive energy efficiency upgrades.
The Energy Initiatives Office Task Force will serve as the central managing office for the development of large-scale Army renewable energy projects. The Army says that the EIO Task Force is integral to its addressing rising energy security challenges, escalating fuel prices, and stricter federal mandates.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment