‘Pillow Renovation’ Helps Hilton Concord Go Green
The Hilton Concord hotel in the San Francisco Bay Area is incorporating environmentally friendly systems, including such innovations as a low temperature dishwasher and “pillow renovation,” into a refit.
The pillow renovation system uses the Pillow Vac system to sterilize and renovate most of its pillows ready for reuse, reducing the number of discarded pillows.
Other environmentally friendly features being installed in the Concord, Calif., hotel include a food waste reduction program. The program uses an Eco-Safe Digester designed by Marathon to convert food waste into liquid, reducing the hotel’s contribution of food waste into landfills. The hotel has also installed high-efficiency LED lighting.
Water conservation efforts come in the form of low-flow toilets and an Ozone Laundry System. The refit should be fully completed in early 2012, the hotel says.
A study out in October found that chain hotels, such as the Hilton Concord, are doing a better job of going green than their independent competitors.
Analysis by Washington State University researchers found that chain hotels are more likely to do such things as use energy efficient light bulbs and train staff to turn off lights, heaters and air conditioning in unoccupied rooms that independent hotels.
Energy Manager News
- Geothermal Heating and Cooling is Worth Another Look
- Bruce County, Ontario, Tabs Ecosystem
- Oklahoma University Scores Almost $300K Incentive
- Smart Tech Takes Over, Bolstered By Record Investment
- Amendment 4 in Florida Would Expand Solar Property Tax Exemptions to C&I Ratepayers
- Pennsylvania PUC Approves Temporary Waiver of ‘Instant Connect’ Confirmation Letters
- Two Studies Show the State of Energy Efficiency
- Phoenix Airport LED Project Moves Along