CSR Jobs May See Salary Cut
Students studying for their Master of Business Administration degree may face lower salaries than they expected in corporate social responsibility than when they began the course, reports USNews.com.
Many companies are now dismantling specific CSR departments and adopting a holistic, business-wide approach to CSR instead. As a result of this new approach, in which each department may take account of their own CSR track-record, resources are thinner spread and, as a result, CSR jobs may come with lower salaries, the news site reports.
There is also a lack of clarity about what CSR means in the modern business world, the news site reports. Differing terms such as “social entrepreneurship” and “social enterprise” muddy the waters as to what a CSR professional actually does, according to the article. Furthermore, companies with the worst track record in corporate social responsibility – such some tobacco and oil firms – are often the ones that talk about it the most, the news site reports.
But these problems can be overcome by students asking the right questions in interviews, experts say. Joining a company that has the same values as you is a very important step towards a rewarding career in CSR according to Jo Mackness, executive director of the Center for Responsible Business at the University of California—Berkeley’s (pictured) Haas School of Business, the web site reports.
The average salaries of carbon and climate change professionals rose 4 percent in 2010, according to a survey out in February 2011. The 2010 Carbon Salary Survey, conducted by recruitment agency Acre and consultancy Acona, said that salary levels in the field were up across all regions of the world and in almost all sectors.
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Write Off Energy Efficiency. It’s Just about to Have Its Day.
- 44 Companies Apply to Manage OSU Energy
- ASHRAE High-Performance Building Design Professional Certification Earns ANSI Accreditation
- Energy Management Targets Commercial Real Estate
- Home Depot Hires HVAC Provider for South Arizona Stores
- Voluntary Agreement Covers Energy of Home Internet Equipment
- Community Microgrids for a Sustainable Future – TEDx Talk
- Cree Restructures LED Business in Aggressive Pricing Environment