Vegas CES Showcase for ecoATM
An ecoATM kiosk (pictured) that rewards users for recycling their unwanted electronic equipment with cash or store vouchers will be on display at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
The kiosk will be on display in the lobby of the Las Vegas Convention Center for the duration of the show that runs from January 10-13.
The ecoATM uses patented machine vision, electronic diagnostics, and artificial intelligence to evaluate and buy back used cell phones and MP3 players directly from consumers. As well as cash and store credit, the machine automatically administers trade-in/trade-up promotions for retailers and manufacturers.
Recycling of tablets will begin later in January, ecoATM says.
A second life is found for about 75 percent of the used devices collected at the kiosks. For the other 25 percent of devices, ecoATM says it works with either R2-certified or BAN-certified recyclers who reclaim the raw materials and precious metals in an environmentally responsible way.
In December, U.K. corporation Revend Recycling Limited launched a “reverse vending” recycling machine for the collection and recycling of domestic light bulbs and batteries. Similar in concept to the ecoATM, the Revend machine issues discount vouchers or other rewards to customers using it.
Ikea will be placing the units in some of its European stores.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- SolarCity: We Have the World’s Most Efficient Rooftop Solar Panel
- Bridgestone Arena in Nashville Switches to LEDs
- Helping Building Automation Grow
- Municipalities Could Combine Small Cell and LED Upgrades
- Holistic Approach to Energy Savings in Dublin, Ohio Schools
- NYC One Step Closer to Net-Zero Energy Goal at Wastewater Treatment Plants
- ‘Better Buildings, Better Plants’ Saves $2.4B Over Five Years