Brazilian Stock Exchange Urges Sustainability Reporting
BM&FBOVESPA says the aims of the initiative are to encourage adoption of sustainability reporting, and to create a public database of reporting companies to be made available at Rio+20, the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, which will take place in Rio de Janeiro in July.
In adopting report-or-explain guidance, BM&FBOVESPA says it is joining a growing international trend in the financial markets. The Johannesburg Stock Exchange made sustainability or similar reports a requirement for listed, privately held and state-owned companies in 2010. Such reporting is also mandatory for listed companies in France and Denmark, and for state-owned enterprises in Sweden, BM&FBOVESPA says, and the European Union is considering the introduction of mandatory sustainability reporting for all member states in 2012.
The Brazilian exchange is holding workshops for listed companies to help familiarize them with sustainability reporting, in collaboration with the Global Reporting Initiative.
BM&FBOVESPA says it was the second exchange in the world and the first in the Americas to use the GRI sustainability reporting model in its own annual report, starting in 2010.
In August NYSE Euronext announced it had become first carbon-neutral global exchange operator. The exchange’s recent environmental initiatives have included installing super-insulating SeriousGlass in the New York Stock Exchange building. NYSE also recently launched three regionally-focused clean energy stock indices together with Bloomberg New Energy Finance.
Energy Manager News
- Smart Windows are a Smart Idea
- Behind the Meter Podcast: The Telecommunications Industry Addresses Energy Challenges
- Ambitious Goals for The Boulder Valley SD
- Philips, Cisco, Alliander Bringing Smart Lighting to Amsterdam
- TCAP to Negotiate Five-Year Electric Rates for Sherman, Texas
- Quality Power, Not Just Power, Should be the Goal
- Siemens Unveils Microgrid-as-a-Service Platform
- 18 Buildings Going Solar in D.C.