Alcoa Releases Low-Weight Truck Wheels
The new 58 lbs wheels are engineered for high performance through Alcoa’s proprietary LvL ONE wheel manufacturing process of light weighting.
By switching from single steel 22.5″ x 8.25″ wheels to Alcoa 14″ wide base wheels, the weight of an 18-wheeler can be reduced by nearly 1,400 lbs. cutting annual fuel costs, Alcoa says.
In other haulage news, Cox Transportation Services, a Virginia-based freight transportation firm, has equipped its fleet with Solus Split Skirts. Solus says the skirts can cut fuel consumption by 5 percent.
Cox is currently evaluating the Solus Wheel Cavity Cover for fleet-wide adoption. The Cover delivers additional fuel savings of 1.3 percent, Solus says.
Environmental Leader’s recent Insights report covers sustainable ground freight. It lists installing wide or low-rolling resistance tires and making aerodynamic improvements as good strategies for improving a truck’s efficiency.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management