Solvay Unveils 1MW Nedstack Fuel Cell
The emission-free system was installed at the Solvay’s Lillo, Belgium, facility in September 2011. After a few weeks of testing, it has now been running continuously for 2 months, Nedstack says. It is currently running at 50 percent electrical efficiency, with a total efficiency – including heat recuperation – of 80 percent, Nedstack says.
The PEM Power Plant consists of 12,600 fuel cells that convert hydrogen, a by-product in the chlorine industry, into electricity and heat.
In other fuel cell news, Air Products’ hydrogen fueling technology is currently fueling hydrogen-to-fuel material handling fuel cell units at WinCo Foods LLC’s 800,000-square-foot grocery distribution center in Modesto, Calif.
Air Products is currently fueling 33 material handling units, with 49 more pieces of equipment to be added in April. When the facility conversion to hydrogen-powered fuel cell lifts is complete in 2013, 184 units will be running at the facility.
The WinCo material handling units being fueled by Air Products include Plug Power’s GenDrive hydrogen fuel cell power units.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management