Oasis Calls on Customers to Audit Its Paper Sustainability
In a letter to grocery retailers, Oasis Brands said the offer of an independent audit was fully supported by APP, its major supplier in Indonesia.
Oasis CEO Philip Rundle said the time has come to introduce more rigorous reporting in this area. He said that APP is regularly assessed and certified by many of the world’s leading environmental auditors and authorities on sustainable forest management, and that continuous, rigorous auditing has shown that its products come from sustainable sources.
Now, he said, “we would like the US grocery industry to see the results of such an audit for themselves.”
APP was a prime target of Greenpeace campaigning last year, with the environmental group accusing the company’s pulpwood suppliers of clearing some of Indonesia’s most ecologically important forests. After the campaign launched, Lego and Hasbro dropped APP as a packaging supplier and Mattel put a freeze on purchases from APP.
WWF and non-profit coalition Eyes on the Forest have alleged that one of Asia Pulp & Paper’s wood suppliers is clear cutting in a Sumatran tiger sanctuary that APP has publicly supported.
Oasis Brands said that along with APP, it has also invited the U.S. grocery industry to participate in the Sustainability Roadmap initiative, which will lay out plans to make APP one of the world’s most sustainable pulp and paper companies by the end of the decade.
Virginia-based Oasis leads sales and marketing for manufacturing partners Mercury Paper and Solaris Paper, with brands including Paseo, LiviVPG, Nvi, LoCor and private label offerings.
Energy Manager News
- Energy Storage: It’s About the Software
- MIT Develops Promising New Battery Storage Technology
- India Launches Net-Zero Building Portal
- Companies Cooperating on Waste-to-Energy Projects
- Clean Energy Commitment in the Corporate and Local Small Business Sphere
- Xcel Asks for $90M ‘Switching Fee’ If Lubbock Utility Joins ERCOT
- EDF Sending 127 Climate Corps Fellows to 100 Organizations
- Capegemini, Siemens Working on Analytics Platform