Rechargeable Lawnmowers Launched
The Recharge Mower G2 electric rechargeable riding mower can cut up to 2 acres on a single charge and has a mulching function to help feed nutrients from cut grass back into a lawn, reducing the need for fertilizer, the company says.
Its 36v85Ah system powers a heavy duty drive motor and the dual direct drive cutting blades, Recharge says. Recharge’s range also includes mowers for suburban domestic use.
Cutting gas use from lawn mowers could have an impact on lowering the U.S.’s green house gas emissions. Recent research by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory found that regularly-used commercial lawnmowers can consume more fuel than a typical car.
A high-use commercial lawnmower consumes as much as 2,000 gallons of fuel a year, more than four times as much as a typical 25 mpg car consumes in the same time period, according to Clean Cities Guide to Alternative Fuel Commercial Lawn Equipment.
However, a rechargeable, emission free mower may not be the cleanest method of garden maintainence. In 2009, Google tried to mitigate some petroleum use by employing goats to keep the its Mountain View, Calif., headquarters free of weeds.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Tesla Becoming a Major Player in the Energy Storage Market
- Federal Agencies Must Use eProject Builder for All ESPC Projects
- Refrigeration Battery Works as Energy Storage
- 400 kW Fuel Cell System Powers Comcast Facility
- City Picks UtilityTRX for Utility Bill Management
- FridgeWize Unveils HVAC EC Motors
- Aztec AMC Modular HVAC system Reduces Data Center Cooling Costs
- Verismic Does Remote PC Power Management