Energy Points ‘Universal’ Sustainability Metric Launched
The cloud-based reporting system converts all domains, including fuel, electricity, transportation and water, into one comparable measurement.
Currently, individual companies often measure sustainability using a number of metrics including overall cost reduction or greenhouse gas emissions reductions. While lauding such efforts, Energy Points says that current measurements do not account for the variables that can impact sustainability, including different fuel sources, geographic locations and electricity generation.
By standardizing such measurement, the Energy Points system aims to enable businesses, utilities and energy service companies to make “comparative, intuitive and fact-based decisions” across all business locations. Businesses can also measure their exposure to the changing energy market, estimate its environmental footprint and compare sustainability performance against competitors. Energy Points believes its system can generate a greater financial and environmental return than current reporting methods.
The company has secured a $3 million initial round of financing led by Plan B Ventures. The financing will be used to launch and accelerate the adoption of the cloud-based platform
In January, Sodexo announced plans to roll out a sustainability dashboard to 1,000 client sites by October, to help clients establish baselines, prioritize initiatives, and track improvement.
The Sustainability Management and Reporting Tool was piloted at 22 locations across the U.S. last year.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Greenskies Enlarges Wesleyan University’s Microgrid
- Pacific Power Names Three wattsmart Business Partners of the Year
- 2014 Better Than 2013 for Distributed Wind Turbines, But Far Below 2012
- Making Efficiency Attractive to Investors
- Hydrogen from Landfill Powers Forklifts at BMW Plant
- Big Energy Savings for Hoke, N.C., Schools
- Energy Savings Performance Contracts Unlock Deep Savings
- Technology Creates a Brighter Future for Small and Mid-Sized Commercial Solar Investments