EDF Report Details Shipping Efficiencies
New technology and thinking are unlocking a raft of previously unattainable environmental and economic efficiencies in the commercial shipping industry, according to a report released this week by Environmental Defense Fund.
Examples of shipping best practice detailed Smart Moves, include:
- A retailer utilizing rail instead of trucks to move goods from warehouse to stores, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and cutting carbon emissions by over 40 percent;
- Competing candy companies using a collaborative distribution model with the potential to slash costs by more than 30 percent and increase carbon efficiency by 25 percent;
- Smarter load management strategies that helped a major dairy company save $7.5 million a year, and helped a national food company eliminate 6.2 million miles worth of truck trips.
The report has been launched to coincide with a new collaboration between EDF and logistics providers, shippers and other experts. The initiative is designed to accelerate the adoption of cheaper, less emissions-intensive ways to transport commercial cargo of all kinds, EDF says.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Embracing New Tech Is Key to Greater Energy Savings, Say Experts
- Johnson Controls, Hitachi Appliances Launch AC JV
- Walmart Saving Money While Driving Efficiency
- Solutions to Help Reach Building Energy Management Goals
- Advanced Fans Cut Datacenter Energy Requirements
- Renew Financial Acquires FL PACE-Lender EcoCity Partners
- Solar Canopies in Maryland, California
- Increased Demand for EVs Driving Global Battery Management System Market