EDF Report Details Shipping Efficiencies
New technology and thinking are unlocking a raft of previously unattainable environmental and economic efficiencies in the commercial shipping industry, according to a report released this week by Environmental Defense Fund.
Examples of shipping best practice detailed Smart Moves, include:
- A retailer utilizing rail instead of trucks to move goods from warehouse to stores, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and cutting carbon emissions by over 40 percent;
- Competing candy companies using a collaborative distribution model with the potential to slash costs by more than 30 percent and increase carbon efficiency by 25 percent;
- Smarter load management strategies that helped a major dairy company save $7.5 million a year, and helped a national food company eliminate 6.2 million miles worth of truck trips.
The report has been launched to coincide with a new collaboration between EDF and logistics providers, shippers and other experts. The initiative is designed to accelerate the adoption of cheaper, less emissions-intensive ways to transport commercial cargo of all kinds, EDF says.
Energy Manager News
- Flying High: Energy Efficiency, Renewables and Airports
- Want a Green and Energy Conscious Business? Try These Ideas
- Beazer Homes Wins Energy Star Award
- Infineon Unveils Integrated LED
- FMPA: Power Costs Expected to Dwindle 30% to 40% Within Years
- Name-Dropping: CUB and Illinois AG Say Nicor Advanced Energy Should Change Identity
- Saving Energy – In the Restroom
- UAB Getting First Solar Array