SCA Sustainability Goals: 5 TWh Wind by 2020, Tripling of Biofuel Production
Other goals include tripling SCA’s production of biofuels by 2020. The company did not state a baseline against which this increased production would be measured, but in 2010, SCA delivered 3.5 TWh of biofuel-generated power to Swedish municipalities, companies and households, according to the company’s latest sustainability report.
The company has also pledged to exclude at least five percent of its productive forestry land from felling and to enact protections for a further five percent to preserve the necessary conditions for biodiversity.
These targets are in addition to SCA’s previously stated sustainability goals that include reducing emissions from fossil fuels by 20 percent by 2020, against a 2005 baseline, and reducing water consumption by 10 percent by 2015 against a 2010 baseline.
In February, Finnish paper company UPM announced plans to build the world’s first industrial-scale plant to turn a wood byproduct into biodiesel.
The Lappeenranta, Finland, biorefinery will produce approximately 100,000 metric tons a year of advanced second=generation biodiesel for use in vehicles, UPM said.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls