SCA Sustainability Goals: 5 TWh Wind by 2020, Tripling of Biofuel Production
Other goals include tripling SCA’s production of biofuels by 2020. The company did not state a baseline against which this increased production would be measured, but in 2010, SCA delivered 3.5 TWh of biofuel-generated power to Swedish municipalities, companies and households, according to the company’s latest sustainability report.
The company has also pledged to exclude at least five percent of its productive forestry land from felling and to enact protections for a further five percent to preserve the necessary conditions for biodiversity.
These targets are in addition to SCA’s previously stated sustainability goals that include reducing emissions from fossil fuels by 20 percent by 2020, against a 2005 baseline, and reducing water consumption by 10 percent by 2015 against a 2010 baseline.
In February, Finnish paper company UPM announced plans to build the world’s first industrial-scale plant to turn a wood byproduct into biodiesel.
The Lappeenranta, Finland, biorefinery will produce approximately 100,000 metric tons a year of advanced second=generation biodiesel for use in vehicles, UPM said.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Don’t Go It Alone When Retrofitting
- LinkedIn Campus Gets Mobile EV Charging
- Many Vendors Vie for Lighting Controls Business
- Johnson Controls Opens Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) Training Center
- Acquiring Renewable Energy Should Be Easier, Facebook Says
- Energy Upgrades at School District Financed by NY Power Authority
- Fusing System Helps Solar Customers with Overcurrent Protection
- ABM Joins Balboa Park Sustainability Council