Siemens, EnerNOC, Schneider Among 10 Enterprise Smart Grid ‘Vendors to Watch’
C3, CA Technologies, ecova, EnergyCAP, EnerNOC, Lucid, Phoenix Energy Technologies, Schneider Electric, SCIenergy and Siemens are the enterprise smart grid vendors to watch because of their innovation, customer proof points, market momentum, product development and increased emphasis on enterprise-wide and multiple-site implementations, according to a report from Groom Energy.
The report, “The Enterprise Smart Grid – a Corporate Buyer’s Guide for Energy Management Software,” said that ESG – the integration of submetering, hardware and software with the aim of increased control over energy consumption – is a $5.2 billion industry in the U.S. and is growing at 40 percent per year. This growth is driven by the emergence of new technologies and vendors that are reducing the burden of management resources and the significant implementation costs, Groom said.
Groom developed the study from case study analysis and 65 interviews with corporate energy, facility and sustainability managers and vendors offering ESG-related technologies.
The report found common challenges facing energy managers including the need for better tools for data gathering, analysis, project tracking, purchasing, and planning; the need to accurately track and forecast energy use for the next year in order to meet corporate energy-intensity goals; and the view that energy is a “fixed” expense, rather than a variable one.
Increasingly, large corporations are seeking an enterprise view of energy use and associated costs that can be implemented across multiple facilities, and utilities are offering financial support for ESG projects including demand response, energy management software, control technology and submetering, Groom found.
The report also has guidelines for companies to assess targets and develop RFPs in order match vendor offerings to their needs. This framework identifies 11 functional areas – including utility bill management, submetering, data center and plug load, carbon and EHS, and procurement – and categorizes the range of vendor solutions to assist companies as they develop their own energy management strategy.
Energy Manager News
- Driving Energy Efficiency by Improving the Owner/Tenant Relationship
- Case Study: Fast Payback in New York City
- $8M Project to Upgrade Chillicothe (OH) Correctional Institute
- Three Trends Align to Save Buildings Millions in Energy Costs
- Law Bars Energy Providers from Charging Early Termination Fees in the Event of Death
- Corporations Spend Big on Ballot Initiatives, Crushing Ratepayer Opposition
- Texas Retailer Offers Instant Rebate for Rooftop Solar, Offers High Credits for Excess Solar
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency