Air Products Venture Developing a Fuel Cell that Produces Hydrogen
The fuel cell provider and the supplier of industrial gases have signed a memorandum of understanding to work towards the market development of the Direct FuelCell tri-generation megawatt-class plants, which would also produce electricity and usable heat.
The initiative seeks to develop a market for the plants around the world, targeting industrial hydrogen users as well as vehicle fueling applications, Air Products says.
Industrial users of hydrogen can utilize all three of the DFC revenue streams. On-site or local production of hydrogen and electricity eliminates the delivery costs incurred by industrial companies and can enhance security and reliability of supply, Air Products says.
Air Products and FuelCell Energy are already working together on a three-year hydrogen production project in California, which began in 2011. Under subcontract to Air Products, FuelCell Energy is operating a DFC power plant at an Orange County Sanitation District wastewater treatment facility near Los Angeles.
Stay Up-to-Date On Environmental Management, Energy & Sustainability News with EL's Free Daily Newsletter
Energy Manager News
- Overcoming Skepticism about Energy Upgrades
- Energy Storage in the Fast Lane
- Alberta Firm Aims for Energy Neutral Egg Laying Barn
- The Department of Energy Seeks to Improve the Better Buildings Challenge
- Behind the Meter: The Many Advantages of Energy Benchmarking
- Telecommunications Companies Upgrade Their Approaches to Energy
- Cutting Energy Use in Fire Stations
- Revolution Lighting Signs School Districts in NY, NJ