Third Generation Maxeon Solar Cell Delivers 50% Higher Efficiency
SunPower Corp., a Silicon Valley-based manufacturer of high efficiency solar cells, solar panels and solar systems, is now integrating its new third generation Maxeon solar cell into select SunPower solar panels.
The company says the new solar cells deliver an efficiency up to 50 percent higher than conventional polysilicon solar cells and are four times as efficient as thin-film. The all-back contact design of the cell leaves the front unobscured with typical silver strings and tabs, which helps make the solar cells so efficient.
The new Maxeon contact solar cell measures 160 mm in size and produces more energy per square meter when compared to conventional crystalline solar cells, according to SunPower. It also has low reverse-bias breakdown voltage to deliver better performance in shady and dusty conditions, and better temperature coefficient for increased energy harvest in hot environments.
The new Maxeon cell has just moved from the lab into commercial production, the company says.
Energy Manager News
- Local, State and the Federal Government Excel at Energy Efficiency
- CA, MA Tie for ACEEE Top Spot
- Integrated Dimmer/LED from Energy Focus
- In Duluth, This Month’s Utility Bills Include a Little Something Extra
- PSEG Surreptitiously Starts Retail Energy Supplier
- New Refrigerant Rules Will Have Long Term Impact
- Building Data Platform from Leviton
- Athens, OH, Nears $4.28M Retrofit Project