WellPoint and Xerox Managed Print Services Cut GHGs 60%, Expect $3m a Year in Savings
The program’s four aims are to reduce waste, enhance recycling efforts, minimize creation of greenhouse gases and create an energy-efficient work environment. Xerox and WellPoint implemented an education campaign to help employees understand the new print and document features.
To date the program has eliminated 9,000 printers, copiers and fax machines in favor of more efficient multifunction printers, saving $280,000 in paper expenses and reducing print-related energy usage and total greenhouse gases by 60 percent.
WellPoint anticipates saving more than $3 million a year through the program, called the Green Office Initiative.
The initiative is an extension of WellPoint’s relationship with Xerox for healthcare communication services. Xerox plans to add e-delivery services to help WellPoint replace paper with secure e-documents and help personalize communications.
Earlier this month, Xerox pledged to suspend purchases from Asia Pulp & Paper following a Greenpeace exposé on the paper company’s practices. In March, Greenpeace released the results of a year-long investigation into APP, the world’s third largest pulp and paper producer, claiming that the company is systematically violating Indonesia’s laws protecting ramin, an internationally protected tree species.
Energy Manager News
- Clauses to Consider in Green Leases
- Bahama Yacht Club to Generate Power from Solid Waste
- Duke Energy, USF Launch Solar Battery Research Initiative
- Energy Storage Helps Hotel Reduce Demand Charges by 10%
- EU Smart Campus Pilot Achieves 30% Energy Savings
- Uline to Operate 130 GenDrive Fuel Cell Units from Plug Power
- Los Angeles Shopping Center Installs 504 kW Solar
- SustainCo Wins $575,000 Contract for Energy Management Controls